Sunday, August 10, 2008

One of those "Circle of Life" Kind of Posts

Sugarpop and I met nine years ago. We have been married for over six years. We have lived in our house for those six years. Our eldest child, the Oh, is four and a half. Our middle, the Happy Elf, is two and four months, and our little girl Daisy (aka Dew Drop) is five weeks old. 


Her short time in our lives has gone by so fast and we are cognisant of how quickly the years will go by. 


Monday last I was home in the afternoon with the boys when there was a knock on the door. A woman of about 60 was at the door with a double-paper bag full of baby food in jars. She said she was a neighbor from around the corner and had heard we had a new member of our family. She handed me the bag and said there was a note inside. I thanked her and she left.


I set the bag by the door and went back to playing with the kids. It was only later that I read the note. This is what it said.


Hello. I'm sorry, but I don't remember your name. We've spoken to each other on rare occasions. I'm sure you'd recognize me if you saw me--very short white hair. I would walk my dad around the block when he was still with us. We'd bring his beagle with us. She passed before last Christmas.


Pop joined her a few weeks ago. Because of pop's difficulty swallowing, we sometimes fed him baby food.


I noticed you have a new addition to your household. Congratulations!  Maybe you could use this? 


As we were welcoming Dew Drop into our lives, she was saying goodbye to her father from her life. So I savor this day, this moment, and I am thankful.


2 comments:

mad said...

I had a similar moment after our second son was born. One of our older neighbors fell ill and was hospitalized for an extended time. Her son did not think she would make it, and he was devastated. We happened to be together at another neighbors house and I noticed the way he kept looking at the baby. His own daughter was ten and probably not much for being held. When I asked if he'd like to hold the baby, he seemed so touched as if I'd given him a great gift. I'll never forget watching him cradle our son up near his face as he walked to the next room looking as if the rest of the world had just disappeared. Sometimes you are just in the right place, at the right time, and in the right circumstances for a moment that feels so much greater than the sum of its parts...Did you say the baby's middle name is Grace?

A New Me said...

The Circle of life is truly an amazing thing and we never know when these moments are coming. What a blessing. Oh yeah and this post brought tears to my eyes!