Thursday, January 10, 2008

Time Out!

Last Sunday our family went to the Illini men's basketball game. We have tried to go as a family to Illini football and basketball games in the past. We have a family pool of season tickets that we share with my parents and assorted siblings and their spouses and children.

Initially, in the past, it worked well. Our oldest, now almost four, did okay until he turned two. Then the noise of the stadium, including F-16 fly overs, and the din of the Assembly Hall during the Final Four season was too much for him. He said, through tears and screams, that it was "too big."

So we didn't take the kids to any games last season. We thought a year off would be best. 


What a difference a year makes! Sunday game time came and we entered the Assembly Hall, me, the W, the O (our 3 year old), and our 18 month old (the Happy Elf). 


Both boys did very well. We stayed for the whole game. The O's favorite part of the game was in the second half when at the 16:00 minute time out the cheerleaders ran around the Assembly Hall with the big "I" flags. We sit in low C so the big flag went right past us. The Happy Elf's favorite part was a large container of popcorn and a pack of M & Ms.


My favorite part of the game was when the Illini called a time out, my father turned to the O and asked, "Do you know what a time out is?" The O solemnly looked up into his grandfather's face and said with all the seriousness he could muster and in a whisper said, "yes."

2 comments:

Misc said...

We've not dared take our kids to an Illini game and they're 6 & 4 (neither one likes loud things unless they are the ones making the noise, natch). My hat's off to you and your wife as you are certainly braver than my hubby and me.

I think the time out might be loosing its power at our house since my kids put themselves there when they've perceived they've done something wrong. Or maybe that's a good thing...

A New Me said...

I wonder why we started using the term "timeout" for discipline time. How do you explain that a sports timeout is so different than a "timeout"? Just gotta love The O!